Vintage Jackpot: Part Two

Sorry for disappearing in the middle of the story.  Sometimes life gets in the way of blogging.  Part one here.

Would I be interested in buying vintage children's clothing from the 50s and 60s?  Is the sky blue?  Is pizza delicious?  Did I want to marry Monkees front man Davy Jones when I was four years old?  Yes, yes, and YES.  I gently took the small pile of kids' clothing from her and said yes.  I did not scream or grab it and shove her down, but I was very excited.  I finished sorting through the piles and we arrived on a price that suited all of us.  I didn't even have to carry the boxes to my car- one of the grandsons took care of that.  Amazing.

I'm still in the middle of cleaning, mending, and the usual projects that go along with old clothing, hence no pictures.  In all, I ended up with ~ten pieces of vintage children's clothing, five 1950s women's shirt/day dresses (!!!), a fur coat, three hats, ~twenty pieces of fun novelty print 1970s polyester shirts/ pants/ dresses, vintage sheets, material, and blanket, modern day new in package dress bags, and tons more miscellaneous clothing items that I can't think of off the top of my head.  One of the ladies even went back in the house and threw in two sets of new in package padded hangers after the deal was done.

This was such a fun experience and to be honest I have always wanted to dig through someone's stuff like they do on American Pickers.  This was the closest I will probably get to doing that and I really enjoyed it despite sweating like crazy and being rather worried that I would get some up close and personal contact with a brown recluse spider or five.  I appreciated that the family was so helpful and kind and that they allowed me, a stranger, to paw through their relative's belongings.

This is also a cautionary tale.  The house was gorgeous and the owner clearly had an eye for beautifully crafted furniture and clothing BUT this was very clearly a situation of hoarding.  One of the grandsons astutely commented "They have T.V. shows about this."  He wasn't wrong.  More than five decades of clothing were represented in the boxes that I went through, and about 20% of the clothing still had tags attached.  Two storage pods were set up and the family was filling them with boxes of belongings as well as getting rid of plenty of items locally, both through sale and donation.  I'm willing to bet that this was a case of depression-era lack contributing to excess in later years as compensation/ security, but we all need to be aware of our tendencies to become attached to things and why exactly we do become attached.  It's also a good idea to thoroughly clean out your house and sell or donate items regularly...unless you want your family to have to deal with it after you're gone.  I'm just sayin'.

I promise to bring you pictures as soon as I can!

Comments

Juhli said…
So many of us have seen people who suffered from the Depression era or at least learned to save everything from their parents who did go through it. Or they could have grown up as New Englanders who just put everything in the barn in case it was needed later LOL. My son works for a company that deals with houses for elderly people who have to move and he says everyone has saved 100 of something. For my dad it was empty jars! Glad their "hoarding" was your good luck.
Thanks, Juhli!! :) I bet your son's work is really interesting- I'd love to see what he comes across!!

Popular Posts