Mixed Emotions

Yesterday, I had my 32nd birthday.

Yesterday, my 36-year-old brother was discharged from the hospital after suffering a hemorrhagic stroke five days previous. 

Needless to say, it has been a strange and emotional week.  I have been coping with my usual "very bad crap has happened" coping skills- prayer and sleep.  Both have been effective.  

In an interesting twist of fate, I have been working as a rehab psychologist for the last year and a half.  That means that I work with people in the hospital who have had spinal cord injury, brain injury, cancer, burn, orthopedic injury...and stroke.  Sometimes knowledge is power, sometimes it isn't.  It's been about 50/50 for me.

He is home now, but will need outpatient speech and occupational therapies.  One of my coworkers is the neuropsychologist at the therapy center he will go to, so I am assured that he is in good hands and will have excellent care.  If you are a person who prays, we all would appreciate prayer for him, his family, and the healing process specifically.

Thanks, friends.

Comments

Danavee said…
Oh my! Praying for you and your brother!

And happy birthday! I do hope there was some happy in there for you!
Liz said…
My thoughts and prayers. Happy birthday, althought sad, another year

Popular Posts